A View of the Methodist Chapel in Charlestown in the Island of Nevis
The Methodist congregation in Nevis was established in the late 1780s or early 1790s. By 1802, "it numbered 900 coloured people and blacks" (Coke, p. 27). The original structure of the chapel shown on the right was built around 1797. In the foreground are free women of color and slaves, apparently dressed for Sunday services. In the British Library copy, this illustration is found in vol. 2 (London,1810).
Thomas Coke, A History of the West Indies (London, 1811), vol. 3, after title page. Copy in the John Carter Brown Library at Brown University.
Image is in the public domain. Metadata is available under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International.
"A View of the Methodist Chapel in Charlestown in the Island of Nevis", Slavery Images: A Visual Record of the African Slave Trade and Slave Life in the Early African Diaspora, accessed April 2, 2020, http://www.slaveryimages.org/s/slaveryimages/item/1837