T Fort, Creuecoeur
This engraving shows a seaside view of the Dutch slave trading fort, Crèvecœur, which was built in 1649. It is a day's walk from Elmina. The engraving shows the fort from the sea with an African town on the right. The original drawing is from the 1679 manuscript. Jean Barbot (1655-1712) was a French explorer and merchant. Employed by the Compagnie du Senegal, Barbot documented two voyages along the coast of West Africa, then across the Atlantic to the Caribbean in 1678-1679 and 1681-1682.
Jean Barbot, "Journal du Voyage de Guinée, Cayenne, et Illes Antilles de L'Amerique. . ." British Library, MS 28788, 22 Oct. 1678 - 24 Sep. 1679.
Image is in the public domain courtesy of Robin Law. Metadata is available under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International.
"T Fort, Creuecoeur", Slavery Images: A Visual Record of the African Slave Trade and Slave Life in the Early African Diaspora, accessed October 20, 2020, http://www.slaveryimages.org/s/slaveryimages/item/2276